Sunday, June 6, 2010

Project One Official Commentary

Wow. All I can say, is what a project. More than that, what a grand, epic start to what is going shaping out to be by far the most engaging, controversial, and competitive season we've ever had. And were only one project in! There's just no other way to say this. Season Seven is turning out to be a grand slam. With that in mind, let's examine the actual project.

Things started out with a bang as soon as the projects got underway. The two teams, the Fans and the Favorites, headed by Monkey4057 and JPhelps, respectively, got to work on their Blue Sky Project, one project designed by both teams working together. A quick word about the Blue Sky Project concept. I do remember back when Season Six ended, I said that the first project of Season Seven would be a game pushing idea that would have the game be played in a whole new way. Well...wasn't I right? I love the idea of Blue Sky Projects, as it gives the teams so much creative freedom to just let their imaginations run wild. I'll talk about the actual product the teams came up with a bit later on. There will be two more Blue Sky Projects throughout the course of the season. Both played in different ways, both at critical points in the competition. Stay tuned...

The amount of actual brainstorming going on this project was just...ridiculous. I really wasn't sure how this fourteen people working on one project thing was going to turn out, but really, for the most part, you guys really ran with it. I love the cast this season because in addition to playing well off of their individual team members, they also play well off of members of their opposing teams. Things will get really interesting when we get to the Team Swap. Oops, did I just say that? Nevermind...Moving on.

Now, let's get to the final project. First of all, I want to say that the technology you guys came up with for this E Ticket really was very impressive. I really do find it curious that Disney has never dabbled in water coaster technology. The queue was also really impressive. Yes, it combined various elements of other Disney queues, but I think that's exactly what made it work. Now, the problem I had was with the actual ride. To be quiet frank here, I found it to be a bit disjointed. The scenes themselves were all exciting, but honestly to me it just didn't really flow very well. It all felt really episodic without any sort of an established OVERALL setting or overall goal. It just seemed like one random adventure after another, and really it went on for two scenes too long. I thought the whirlpool was the climax, and pacing wise it was just kind of awkward having two other scenes after a scene that big and exciting. There were some really good ideas at play here, I think pacing was by far the biggest issue I had with the overall package.

Let me just say that I really did appreciate all the hard work and determination put into this project. I'm not going to name names, but each and everyone one of you contributed something. Okay fine, I will name one name. Twilight Roxas, you seriously need to step up to the plate, because you've been contributing next to nothing. I know you've got a really creative imagination. Run with it. You could do great in this competition if you just gave it a little bit of an effort. I hope you're reading this.

I guess I should also say a few words about the three victims this first project. First, we have MickeyFan5534. There's not a lot to say about him. He just got caught up in other Imagineering project. Alyx92 was a person I really did have my eye on. Unfortunately, he is having computer troubles, and that's really something that can't be helped. Sucky situation, but it happens. Lastly we have JPhelps, eliminated in thirteenth place. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that JPhelps' performance this project was perhaps the most memorable of any first project elimination in the history of the game. You've got to admit, he was trying to get a grasp on the Team Leader thing. Finals are what kills a lot of people's games, and JPhelps was just the latest victim of this. The big move on his run, however, was targeting MaterA113 and TrevorA for elimination. It's funny, because Mater and Trevor really are kind of a team, being the two masterminds behind WDWMagic's "The Imagineer" and "Leauge of Dreamers". I think basically, JPhelps just targeted the wrong people, because that really is kind of a power duo right there, and after dropping the ball by not turning in his project, he really didn't have a chance. Like I said though, he really did have a hell of a storyline this season, even if it did only last one project.

As for the rest of you, while admit-ably some of you have done more work than others, I'd say overall this is the most solid cast we've ever had, bar none. As if that wasn't obvious already. Remember, there's a secret power lurking. One on the Fans team, one on the Favorites team, held by the winners of the Favorite Project contest and Personal Blue Sky contest. One last notes. The Favorites need to chose a new Team Leader. I've been thinking this over, and Mater, I know you really want to do it, but the more I think about it, you had half a season as a Team Leader in Season Six, and I really want some fresh blood. I'm really sorry, and hope you understand. So with that in mind guys, get me a name. Sometime today would be preferable. You guys are off to a killer start. Keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment